Neomobile brings you the highlights form the latest edition of Ericsson Mobility Report, one of the most influential analyses of data traffic and in-depth global network measurements [Infographic]
As a global leader in communication technology Ericsson is powering around 40 % of the world’s mobile traffic with their networks, with around 1 billions subscribers. This incredible amount of mobile network traffic data provides a comprehensive picture of the mobile landscape, analysis, and forecasts (winbeta.org).
The November edition of the Report provides updated trends and forecasts for mobile data traffic. From the addition of 87 million new mobile broadband subscriptions in Q3 2015 to the estimate that video will account for 70% of total mobile traffic by 2021 – check out some of the report highlights:
- The total number of mobile subscriptions in Q3 2015 was around 7.3 billion, including 87 million new subscriptions; India grew the most in terms of net additions during the quarter (+13 million), followed by China (+7 million), the US (+6 million), Myanmar (+5 million), and Nigeria (+4 million).
- Smartphones accounted for close to 75 percent of all mobile phones sold in Q3 2015, compared to around 70 percent during Q3 2014. The number of mobile broadband subscriptions is growing globally by around 25 percent year-on-year, increasing by approximately 160 million in Q3 2015 alone.
- There will be over 150 million 5G subscriptions by the end of 2021
- Around 90% of mobile data traffic will be from smartphones by the end of 2021
- Asia Pacific will generate 40 percent of total smartphone traffic by the end of 2021 due to it being the most populous region and a rapid growth in subscriptions. China alone will add 260 million mobile subscriptions by 2021
- Mobile video traffic is becoming increasingly dominant: in 2015, video accounted for around 50% of mobile data traffic
- Almost 70% of all mobile data traffic will be from video by 2021. It will grow by 55% annually during this period
For more information on the report visit http://www.ericsson.com/mobility-report where you can download the full document.
Check our the selected facts&figures in our new infographic: